Mar 15, 2012

St. Patties Day!

I don't like lime and I am not the biggest fan of mint with my sweets. What other green flavor can I make cupcakes out of for St. Patties day? GREEN TEA!!! These are organic vanilla bean cupcakes with green tea matcha frosting. These I must say were a HIT!

Cakes
1/2 cup milk
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 vanilla bean scraped
1  cup + 1 tables poon flour
3/4 cup + 2 table spoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tabel spoons unsalted butter (room temp)

In a bowl whisk together egg whites, milk, vanilla and vanilla beans. (if the bean seeds stick together, don't worry, it's normal). In your mixer sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat in the butter 1 table spoon at a time. After mixed together add half of the milk mixture. Once that is added and mixed, scrape down the sides and add the other half. Divide among cupcake trays and place in the over at 350 and keep an eye on them until they are lightly golden. They are delicious and not too sweet!

Frosting
2 sticks unsalted butter (room temp)
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 tabel spoons matcha green tea powder
3 cups powder sugar

Beat the butter until light and fluffy (as always). In a small bowl mix together the tea powder and heavy cream. Add 1 cup of the sugar to the butter. Add the cream and powder in to the butter and sugar. Keep adding the rest of the sugar until it is a perfect frosting texture!

I decorated it with dried raspberries that I got at Trader Joe's and some raspberry infused sugar that I got at the Tea and Spice Exchange in Asheville (http://www.spiceandtea.com). They are fun and cute and SO tasty that are not your every day flavors. Enjoy and have a Happy St. Patricks Day!!!!
Below is the apron my dearest sister gave me for my birthday. Also, Andy is a good family friend that LOVES my cupcakes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment