Jan 11, 2012

Citrus in a Winter Way

Citrus in a Winter Way


I started cooking/ baking summer of 2011 and it stuck! I have so many idea's every day I feel like they are flying out of my ears! I used to work at a candy store called Kilwin's where we used to sell chocolate covered orange peels. I liked the idea but never tried them because I thought it was weird. I finally tasted one recently and fell in love love love! They are so tasty! Not anything like an orange peel which would in-fact not taste very good. I thought and thought about how I would make orange peel's sweet. Just dipping them in chocolate would be gross... How would I do it? well,

I cut up a ton of oranges and peeled them (I also used the inside for some tasty orange-aid, two birds one stone!) I cut up the peels in slices and boiled them for 5 minutes. After I boiled them and strained them they were still gross! I refilled my pot and boiled them again, after repeating this step 4 whole times, they were finally tolerable. Then, I simmered them in a simple syrup (a mixture of half sugar half water, over heat until the sugar is gone) for an hour. I don't have a double boiler so I used a pot with water and a metal bowl on top. I started melting the chocolate while I let the orange peels cool on a rack after I pat them dry with a paper towel. Then, I dipped them in chocolate and sprinkled them with some spicy cocoa powder that I found in a random cabinet in my kitchen. I let them cool and I took them to a moving out party for a friend that just got married and is moving to Texas :(. Everyone was confused because they had never tried one but they turned out to be a hit! I hope this entry helps you with your yummy treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment