Jan 11, 2012

Freaking Cute, Freaking Yum

Freaking Yum!
Today I have been doing so so so much research in my spare time trying to find a good easy way to make a pourable fondant. I looked everywhere and I found a couple that didn't seem too difficult. Since it was my first time using pourable fondant I wanted to make a simple cake. I made a simple white cake with chocolate bourbon fondant and simple vanilla frosting for piping. It looks like I took forever and it really wasn't as hard as one would think.
The Cake

1 cup of sugar
1/2 a cup of butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup of milk

I have used this recipe for a while now and they turn out fluffy, tasty, and not too sweet. I wish I could remember where I got this recipe but sadly I don't...
First, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the vanilla then the eggs one at a time. mix the flour and baking powder and pour it in the butter mixture little by little. after it is a dough pour in the milk and mix until well mixed! Oven should be at 350 and it will take about 20 minutes. 

The Poured Fondant

6 cups powder sugar
1/2 cup of water
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon bourbon extract (you can use real bourbon if you would like)
3 oz dark chocolate

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. In a sauce pan mix the sugar, water, corn syrup, and extract or liquor until mixed well and melted. add the chocolate when it is melted and dip the cakes into the mixture after they have cooled. Do NOT pour it on the cakes! It makes a HUGE mess. 
After all of that I just mixed some butter, a powder sugar until it reaches a nice consistency and add some flavor and color if you please. I don't have piping tools right now so I made a makeshift one with wax paper. I put some crushed chocolate, sugar, and coffee beans on top and found these sweet little dark chocolate "pringles" at Trader Joe's.

These cakes are super yummy and not too much to take on. Also, you may have all of these ingredients in your cabinet (I know I did!) I hope you have fun making these cakes! It makes a mess but it sure does make a pretty/ yummy cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment