Jan 13, 2012

Caramel Red Lips

Yum! This was the first time a made caramel and it was so much easier than I though it would be (maybe because I found the easiest recipe I could). They are simple Chocolate Cupcakes with a caramel sauce and pecans! So perfect for fall/winter. 
Cakes
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3/4 un-sweet cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tabel spoons butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
3/4 vanilla extract
1 cup milk

mix the dry ingredients minus the sugar together. Then, cream the room temperature butter and sugar together, once its fluffy add in one egg at a time. After that mix in the vanilla. Once that is all mixed together, alternate mixing in the dry mixture and the milk until it is all mixed together! bake on 350 for 15-20 minutes.
I have used this recipe a couple times and I really like it! I even put more salt in the recipe this time to make it a salty chocolate caramel pecan type of thing, yum right?


Caramel
Make sure you have all of the ingredients next to you ready to go in the pot!
1 cup sugar
6 tabel spoons butter
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
some water
pecans!

Put the sugar and a little bit of water in a deep POT! make sure it's not a sauce pan because it will over flow. Be very careful with this because hot sugar is much much hotter than hot water. let the sugar boil and whisk it so the sugar will cook evenly. Let the sugar cook until it is an amber brown color then add in the butter. Mix until it melts.(I didn't have the butter out of the rapper ready to go in the pot and accidentally threw it in with the wrapper on! Thankfully, my boyfriend handed me tongs and knew exactly what to do :) what would I ever do with out him.) after the butter is melted, take it off the heat. Count exactly 3 seconds and pour the milk in. It will steam up so be careful because it hurts. Mix it all together, pour as many pecans in as you feel. 
Cut a whole on the top of all of the cakes so that the caramel doesn't spill all over them and enjoy!

This recipe was surprisingly quick! I made them for my great grandfather for desert this week and I was on a time crunch. It took max, an hour. I tried to time myself like on cupcake wars, then decided I shouldn't because it is messy and I needed to clean up after myself. They are tasty and not too sweet. Perfect for dinners, I might make them for Thanksgiving this year!
 It finally felt like winter today and I though I would share my red lips and cozy scarf with you!
Love you all! Enjoy your cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment